Short term: Train and educate local communities about the social, environmental and economic benefits of bamboo cultivation – Bring different local small producers together in a bamboo plantation program
• Medium Term: Creation of decent and permanent jobs for the cultivation, harvesting and transformation of bamboo for all members of the community – Expansion of the program to other communities and / or States – Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certification – VCS Standard validation for carbon credits sales
• Long Term: Complete restoration of soils and / or new commercial agroforestry activities
Leveraging Forest Landscape Restoration to accelerate Nature-Based Solution
Maintaining and restoring healthy forests, agricultural land and mountain and sub-mountain ecosystems as a set of solutions to address the interlinked challenges of climate change, environmental degradation and rural development.
Healthy nature is at the heart of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Yet, we continue to degrade and lose nature at an alarming rate with devastating consequences for people and the planet.This is why realizing nature-based solutions – the conservation and restoration of forests, wetlands and grasslands as well as re-greening cities, urban systems and building nature-based markets – is so critical. Done the right way, nature-based solutions not only deliver biodiversity protection, climate change mitigation and adaptation, but they also offer effective routes to job creation and sustainable economic development.
To help the rapid scaling-up that is needed for nature-based solutions to reach their potential, MEFBA in collaboration with the FECOFUN has launched the platform to accelerate Nature-Based Solutions. focuses on nature-based solutions to global challenges and environmental governance, aimed at sustainable development and biodiversity conservation on the ground. Develop and promote nature-based solutions to local, regional and national development challenges, enhancing livelihoods and ecosystem services.
Relevant Fields of Expertise the MEFBA provides under Forest Landscape Restoration
• Management of natural resources, forestry/agriculture; nature conservation,
• Forest and/or Agricultural economics and business analysis.
• Business plan development.
• Project development and design; project monitoring and evaluation;
• Landscape ecology planning, regional development.
• Value-chain analysis.